Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Book: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigulupi
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: A
For: Printz Project (Printz Award 2011)
From: Borrowed

I've been hearing so many good things about this one that I knew I couldn't pass up the chance to read it when the opportunity came along.

This one is an interesting take on yet another dystopian world. Our main characters are "ship breakers" and make their living by harvesting the resources they can dead ships leftover from the time before... our time. It's a world where the question is asked.. .what if our land is flooded and buried at sea?

It's a very harsh world, violent and ruthless. Then when the storms come, things really get interesting. After one particular storm, a new ship is wrecked up on their shore and what they discover on it starts a whole new chapter in their lives. Nailer in particular must make basically a life and death decision.

This is quite the ride! Very page turning and crazy! I particularly enjoyed the unique style and the creative take on the dystopian genre. Fascinating characters too.

Bottom line: I really liked it!

Other Reviews:

One Librarian's Book Reviews
Annette's Book Spot
Stainless Steel Droppings
Gripping Books

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book. It does introduce a very harsh world, but it's so exciting and well-written that it sucks you in and just doesn't let go. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my list of to-reads. I am always eyeing the title on my list but have yet to feel the strong desire to read it. I know that I will, and am glad that you liked it well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails